Plex (Android) in a nutshell is a media platform that runs on Macs, PCs and Linux that is capable of organizing your media so that it can be viewed by any Plex Client in a beautiful to see and easily navigable form. In addition to allowing you to view all of your music, photos and videos it allows you to get to online content from many of your favorite online providers from the comfort of your couch using just a remote control - no need to type all that "www" mumbo-jumbo... no need to sit through an entire newscast for the weather. This is the best of both worlds.
Plex currently supports over 200 Channels including CNET, Vimeo, Revision3 and many other popular online sources. With Plex Media Server for Mac you can stream additional content from Aperture, iPhoto, and iTunes.
Plex for Android of course works WITH your Plex Media Server to offer up your music, video and photos on your mobile device! Plex Players are available for Windows, Mac, Samsung TVs, Roku, Android and more...
Here's how to prep for your first Plex for Android run:
1. Setup your Plex Media Server. This is absolutely required to run Plex for Android.
2. Test it out... make sure it works locally with either the Mac or Windows client player (aka Plex Media Center) running on the same machine.
3. Get Plex for Android - try first on your home network... and Enjoy!
What's New in This Release:
· Fix bug that caused all sync content to be deleted for some users.
· Do a better job of finding photos to upload in phones with KitKat and an external SD card.
· Lots more fixes
What's New in 3.2.7:
· Fixed regression in audio notifications
· Fixed issues with Plex Sync when server cannot connect
What's New in 3.2.6:
· Chromecast now supports music and photos, as well as mirroring preplay pages during navigation.
· Fixed sync issue which could result in loss of data
· Lots more fixes
What's New in 3.2.5:
· Improved discovery of servers and players
· Ability to capture device logs to send via email when reporting issues (new permission required)
· Lots more fixes
What's New in 3.2.4:
· Add back ability to skip forward during video playback
· Big' notifications for local audio playback, on devices which support it
· Fix crash when stopping video/music/photo player once connection to server has been lost
· Lots more fixes
What's New in 3.2.3:
· Fix issue preventing playing queue/recommended videos on the Chromecast when user doesn't have their own server
· Fix crash in audio player when application is resumed
· Fix crash when attempting to play video an no transcoding capable server is available
· Fix issue when skipping overscan wizard so that you can continue to just sign in
What's New in 3.1.4:
· New "All" episodes for TV Shows
· Fix issue preventing transcoding from manually added servers
· Fix issue preventing removal of manually added servers
· myPlex credentials are now refreshed when moving onto new network
· [TV Layout]: Fix crash browsing libraries via folder view
· Lots of additional changes and fixes
What's New in 3.1.3:
· Make TV layout available to everyone
What's New in 22.214.171.124:
· New Remote Control
· Support for 2 manual connections to servers
· "Recently Viewed" TV show filter
· Fixed crash when application ran in Polish
What's New in 126.96.36.199:
· Resolve network discovery issue for remote players
· Fix issue accessing servers published on port 443
· Fix issue playing some channel content remotely
What's New in 188.8.131.52:
· Fixed minimum server check
What's New in 184.108.40.206:
· Fixed issues connecting to myPlex
What's New in 220.127.116.11:
· Fix an issue connecting from VPNs
· Fix allows p4a to work when advanced option "Require authentication on local networks" is selected
· Fix crashing during media analysis of some media items
· Fix incorrect audio stream was selected under certain circumstances
· Fix an issue manually adding servers
· Fix a variety of field reported crash conditions
What's New in 18.104.22.168:
· problem showing options menu in Android 4.2
· trouble advancing to the next audio track
What's New in 22.214.171.124:
· Support direct play of mpeg4.
· Allow DP of videos with multiple audio tracks if the first is selected.
· crashes loading and playing video in some older devices
· media controls wouldn't pop up on some devices
· issues with shuffle, repeat and play/pause button states
· Remote Player 'playMedia' function
· in photo viewer sometimes images failed to load
· center cropped images in audio controller so we properly scale album art
· field reported crash conditions
What's New in 126.96.36.199:
· FIX - occurrences of "tap to cancel" dialog that never went away. Restart of the app was necessary.
· FIX - several massive memory leaks that occurred while navigating in and out of large media sections.
· FIX - a memory leak on some devices related to image caching.
· FIX - try to reduce context switching time between key activities.
· FIX - an issue where a new thread was created in the media player every time the screen was turned on/off.
· FIX - field reported crashes.
What's New in 188.8.131.52:
· FIX connection issues where local connections would never be selected.
· FIX sometimes servers would be listed with name of sections.
· FIX remote controlled Androids can now resume in progress video.
· FIX when video started from remote control ends - return back to original view.
· FIX when navigating to remote control Loading dialog never disappears.
· FIX where network logging failed to work on some devices / in some cases.
· FIX about a dozen assorted field reported crash conditions.
What's New in 184.108.40.206:
· NEW optimizations and performance improvements
· FIX an issue where loading dialog was not being dismissed properly
· FIX connection and reconnection logic to cope with failure to connect issues
· FIX to allow the audio player to seek backwards
· FIX odd seek bar behavior
· FIX quit followed by start doesn't kick you out
· FIX don't reload/rerender the home screen every time
· FIX a couple field reported crash conditions
What's New in 220.127.116.11:
· NEW Android devices can now be remote controlled.
· NEW Network logging for troubleshooting
· NEW Media Info displayed at top of screen when playback controls are visible.
· NEW Experimental Transcode method (Quicksilver)
· FIX an issue where sometimes Plex would get stuck on 'Loading'
· FIX playback issues on some ICS devices (e.g. HTC One)
· FIX an issue where hints in setup screens were not appearing on some devices
· FIX weird seekbar skipping behavior
What's New in 18.104.22.168:
· FIX ICS low profile during media playback
· IMPROVED performance of navigation and image loading
· IMPROVED media selection logic - more channels play and quality better matches settings
· FIX some issues with subtitle support
· FIX in Plex search capabilities
· FIX numerous connection related problems
· FIX an issue where quality settings above 8Mbps were ignored
· FIX memory leaks
· NEW Longpress takes you to details in most places
· NEW configurable logging levels
· FIX for many other field reported issues