GpsMid is a free, fully offline, vector based map application for your mobile phone. It displays your current position on a zoomable map and can be used to search for and navigate to roads or points of interest of your liking. As all data is stored in a compact binary format on your mobile phone you will incur no charges for extra data downloads.
GpsMid uses map data by OpenStreetMap, a wiki based open source map. Yes, the world is not really complete yet, but in an increasing number of areas it is starting to be comparable to, if not greatly exceeding, the level of detail found on other commercial maps.
Furthermore, as a wiki, you are always able and invited to help improve it and GpsMid tries to give you the tools to do so. Look at Getting Involved with OpenStreetMap for more detail of how to contribute to the map.
Pre-bundled midlets are currently only provided for a few demonstration areas due to space restrictions. You can however easily create a bundle for your custom region by yourself. Look at Osm2GpsMid to find out how to create such a bundle. Each jar-file is a bundle of the application itself and some map data. Either send the midlet via bluetooth or simply copy it (.jar and .jad file) to the correct directory on your device. Choose install new and select the jar file.
· Vector rendering of the roads, areas and points of interest
· Displaying the map either north on top or in the direction of driving
· Centering the map to a position received from your GPS
· NMEA GPS-unit with bluetooth connection.
· Devices with built-in JSR179 compatible location provider
· Zooming in and out to arbitrary levels of detail.
· Displaying the name of the street you are on and the maximum speed you may travel.
· Searching for a name (street, city or POI) and jumping to it on the map
· Searching for close by points of interest
· Calculating a route to a target street and navigate to it with voice guidance
· Adding and deleting of waypoints to the map
· Recording and displaying of track logs
· Importing and exporting track logs and waypoints to and from GPX
· Taking geotagged photos with your mobile
· Fully customizing which OSM features are used in GpsMid and how you want your map to look
What's New in This Release:
Important bug fix:
· GpsMid now starts even when phone is set to a language unsupported by GpsMid, phone has default language support and language is set to device default
Building the map:
· support for osm.pbf files (actually already with 0.7)
· cellid params can be specified in .properties and stored in .properties
· support for UTF-8 .properties
· bug fix: disable build buttons after map was built
· minor updates: cs translation, Samsung S8000 backlight
What's New in 0.7:
· Greatly improved area rendering: J2ME mobiles can only draw triangles, so for rendering, filled polygons need to be split into triangles. This is now done by Osm2GpsMid resulting in faster rendering in GpsMid.
· Large Areas are split into smaller areas resulting in faster area rendering as well.
· Multipolygon support (OSM inner / outer relations)
· Additional map views: Eagle: GpsMid's great 3D View (experimental); Moving Enhanced: rotated view enhanced to see more ahead
· No. of sats and recorded points now have a background box.
· A base zoom level can be entered in setup, that will be used as base for auto zoom.
Icon Menu and Touchscreen support:
· Optional virtual number/text keypad in search screen
· Icon Menu will switch to 4x3 in landscape mode if the device informs us about its rotation
· Sliding horizontally at least a quarter of the screen width switches icon menu pages
· Slide to the right on the Status Bar in the map screen to lock / unlock touch screen devices
· Icons / Tabs and Touch Controls in the map screen get highlighted when touching them
· Gestures in Search results: Double tap an entry: route to entry / use as destination; Slide horizontally at least one char height to the right: route to entry; Slide horizontally at least one char height to the left: select entry; Slide horizontally half screen width to the left: show search text field; Slide horizontally half screen width to the right: toggle sort mode; Touch the right 20% of the screen: same as * key - toggle favorites/waypoints or collapse street names; Slide vertically: scroll result list
· Single Tapping, double tapping and long pressing on touch controls in the Map Screen with many new different functionalities
Localization for voice and route instructions:
· You can now specify a text file called syntax.cfg in the sound directory. For examples of syntax.cfg extract from the Osm2GpsMid.jar with an unzip utility the directories sound and sound-de which both contain a syntax.cfg. Osm2GpsMid will include all sound files referenced in syntax.cfg into the generated midlet. (Sound file names are the sound files referenced in syntax.cfg in lower case with the extensions specified with useSounds, e.g. amr). For specifying the sound directory/directories containing the syntax.cfg use e.g. : useSoundFilesWithSyntax=sound, sound-de, sound-fi. The sound files of the specified directories are bundled into GpsMid and the directories are choosable in Setup/Sounds & Alerts. GpsMid will prefer files from the specified sound directory/directories in the file system or fall back to the files in the specified sound directory integrated into Osm2GpsMid.
· Only German voice and route instructions: Specify in your .properties file: useSoundFilesWithSyntax=sound-de. This will include the German sound files into GpsMid
· Only Finnish voice and route instructions: Specify in your .properties file: useSoundFilesWithSyntax=sound-fi. This will include the Finnish sound files into GpsMid (thx jkpj)
· English and German eSpeak voices now sound a bit more friendly
Localization of on-screen messages:
· Translation of many on-screen messages into Czech, Slovak, Finnish, German and Russian, to a smaller degree to French, Italian and Portuguese. When building with the Osm2GpsMid GUI (wizard), the languages will have en estimate of how complete the translations are. The rough scale is: 5: Complete or almost complete; 4: Normal user-visible messages complete or almost complete (many or even most error messages may be untranslated); 3: Many user-visible messages untranslated; 2: A relatively big portion of user-visible messages translated; 1: Some menus and messages translated. Please make the translations more complete in the GpsMid Wiki!
· Improved color for buildings
· Added area types shop=*, leisure=pitch, landuse=farm_yard, landuse=military
· Added POIs for shop=bicycle/organic/clothes, guest house, ticket machine and more
· Changed colors for landuse=commercial and graveyards/cemeteries
· Paths with bicycle=designated / foot=designated added and drawn like footways / cycleways
· Highways with toll flag get now drawn with a special decoration
· If GUI is optimized for routing, after selecting in the Search results "Route" or "As destination", do not move map to destination, thus the route gets calculated from the current map position to the selected search result.
· Allow Toll Roads / Motorways. With these new options you can specify if GpsMid will route using toll roads / motorways. This also reduces the maximum number of travel modes per midlet from 5 to 4.
· Allow to specify in Setup/Routing the seconds the examined route path gets delayed at traffic signals during calculation. The value is used only during calculation. It is NOT used for ETA calculation, which is hardcoded to 20 seconds (if traffic signals are far enough apart). Also in contrary to ETA calculation, the delay is only applied if not to consecutive connections start at a traffic signal route node. Don't set this too high as it will slow down route calculation because GpsMid will examine more route paths trying to avoid the connections delayed by traffic signals and this therefore would also sometimes result in strange routes.
· Improvements on when a bearing instruction has to be given and when not.
· The route line is above other ways now when the cursor is close to it rather than only when the map position is synchronized to GPS.
GPS and other location producers:
· Show NoFix with JSR-179 if no fix is available (thx djinnn)
· Show number of satellites with JSR-179 if device supports it (thx djinnn)
· Fixed a problem with the NMEA sentences generated by HTC Touch Diamond 2 with JavaFX JVM
· Digital compass support, works currently on Android and on Nokia S60 (compass-equipped) phones with CellID helper
· Keypress support for CellID location
URL and Phone number support:
· GpsMid can now open websites and call phone numbers associated with POIs and Ways in search results and on the map (ways only on the map for now). W signifies Website and P signifies Phone. To configure for use, add useUrlTags=true and usePhoneTags=true to .properties file
New platform: Android support (experimental):
· Android support is experimental and not release-quality or an official part of the release, thus no official 0.7 Android release binaries. Experimental .apk's are available.
· Android support is "first version" - most stuff works, but there's much which isn't polished, there are some crashes, and the UI is not at all Android-like so it won't feel nice. There are plans for improvement.
· External zip file or directory maps are the simple & recommended way to use GpsMid on Android
· Bundling can be used with scripts in tools, but not as easily as for J2ME and not easily on all operating systems.
· Voice recording & taking pictures don't work yet
· Way point list can be sorted by time, distance or alphabetically.
· Menu to quickly enter predefined way point texts. These are hardcoded but in the future it is planned to read them from a file.
· Search results are now refreshed with a new strategy until all null strings are resolved to names
· Ways can now have icons which show up in search and map overview screens
· Tracks (including the one being recorded) can now be displayed and renamed when a track is being recorded. You have to pause the recording however before you can get to the track menu.
· The entries in the File-/Directory Requester Dialog are now sorted (folder first, alphabetically) and contain only files with the suffix(es) that can be chosen. Please note e.g. on Nokia mobiles files with suffix ".jar" are not shown, you have to change the suffix to ".zip" for external maps.
· Waypoints are now stored in the track by default when recording a track
· The Setup option "backlight only in map screen" has been recycled to "backlight only as keep-alive" which only triggers the backlight every 60 s to ensure continuous screen updates etc. on some phones while saving battery compared to keeping the backlight on all the time.
· In Osm2GpsMidGUI there's a new option to select from tile size presets, e.g. for newer Nokia mobiles it's recommended to use big tile sizes as the number of files in the jar seem to be limited while on mobiles with small RAM small tile sizes usually will work better.
· Compass directions now have the correct names according to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction now (thx billi25)
· Russian cyrillic letters work now in Search screen (thx dimmer123)
· Fix a recordstore error that caused settings to be not consistent on some mobiles (thx jkpj)
· Fix NullPointerException when accessing tracks on corrupt record stores preventing to access readable tracks (thx Petr Dlouh)
· Winter speed limits actually trigger an alert now (thx jkpj)
· GUI search screen colors can now be chosen with style-file.xml (colors.inc)
· better support for non-metric units and optionally km/m instead of just m in metric units
· Many more small improvements and bugfixes
What's New in This Release:
· Faster access to the map: There's no extra menu before the map screen anymore.
· Icon menus are available as an alternative user interface (activateable in Setup / GUI Options). Multiple sized icon sets are included, choose with "useIcons = small|true|big|false" in the .properties file if and which icon set is included. Default is "useIcons = small|true", which includes a medium sized icon set.
· Use numeric keys to directly access icons in icon menu and use long presses of numeric keys to directly access the tabs of the icon menu - this can be activated in Setup/GUI
· Specify in Setup/Display Options to keep backlight on only while GPS is started.
· Many more midlet colors are specifiable in the style-file now (including colors for night mode).
· Display speed and distances in miles if configured in Setup.
· Some improvements to the quality of the included voice samples
· Many mobile devices only allow to install rather small jar files (e.g. only 1 MB or 3 MB): A new workaround for this install a GpsMid with a small file size and to specify in it in Setup/Map Source another (bigger) GpsMid.jar as external map source (some devices require to rename the suffix of the .jar to .zip first) Many thx for the "j2me zipfile reading patch (no permission nags anymore)" to trendypack. On some mobiles the access to the external jar/zip won't work. If this is the case you can alternatively specify a directory with the unzipped contents of another large GpsMid.jar as external map source.
Touch screen support:
· Touch the street name status bar to show the icon menu.
· Recenter to GPS button.
· (De)activate manual rotation mode by touching the point of compass (use zoom buttons to rotate in manual rotation mode).
· Show Map Features by touching the scale bar.
· In the Search screen touching below or above the search results makes a standard input field show up (for touch screen devices without QWERT keyboard or numeric keys).
· Touch the clock on the map to toggle the backlight, with some Nokia mobiles like Nokia 5800 it is also possible to use the zoom buttons during "Backlight ON" message to dim the backlight on touchscreen mobiles.
· Show destination and move center to GPS to the left (thx jkpj).
GPS and other location producers:
· Add a possibility to manually enter a connection URL, e.g. "comm:COM0;baudrate=115200".
· CellId provider for S60FP2 usable with the python helper app (providing CellId via a local socket).
· CellId can now be used to position oneself without the need to connect to the Internet.
· Improved painting of way segments to draw them connected (thx pos_ei_don_).
· Faster painting of oneway arrows (thx pos_ei_don_).
· Special rendering of ways that are bridges or tunnels (thx pos_ei_don_).
· In Setup / Display Options there's now a text field for specifying how many seconds after the last user interaction the map will be automatically recentered to the GPS position
· Better handling of appearing and disappearing text items (title bar, route instructions, etc.) on the map screen.
· Optionally show speed when driving.
· Optionally show altitude from GPS.
· When there is no route calculated but a destination is set, show air distance instead of remaining route distance in the map screen.
· New map feature "Auto zoom": This will automatically zoom the map in and out according to the driving speed (after zooming in or out manually in auto zoom mode, GPS recentering will also activate the auto zoom again).
· Turn restrictions included in the midlet can be displayed in the map with Setup/Debug Options.
· Max distance for displaying way name while scrolling is now calculated differently. A minimum of 10 meters is used for high zoom levels.
Recordings, Tracks and Waypoints:
· Allow to save more than 255 waypoints again. (thx pos_ei_don)
· Ask for track name at start/end of track recording - configurable in Setup / Recording Rules (thx jkpj).
· Numbers of tracks and waypoints displayed in the title of the respective lists (thx Petr Dlouh).
· Current date added to name of waypoints file (thx Petr Dlouh).
· Better feedback (progress popups) during GPX imports and exports.
· Better error message when GPX export fails, fixed typos (thx Petr Dlouh).
· Fix for the bug that waypoints were sometimes no longer drawn (thx Petr Dlouh).
· Using a different icon for waypoints than for the points of a track (thx Petr Dlouh).
· Fix for bug 2737256: Cursor position moved before "Set as target" (thx Petr Dlouh).
· Auto save the gpx track every 256 points, not only at the end of the recording.
· Option to save a waypoint as favorite (will be shown in Search screen if no or only the first key is pressed).
· Faster export of tracks and waypoints (on some Nokia devices).
· Replay recorded track (experimental).
· Timestamps in GPX exports when using internal GPS (JSR-179) were in local time, not UTC.
· Time and elevation jumps in GPX (bug 2928508) when using internal GPS (JSR-179) fixed. With JSR-179, the WGS84 geoid elevation is now always used which is different from external GPS which uses mean sea level elevation.
· Many POI types added to the default style.
· Different icons for churches, mosques, synagogues and unspecified religions.
· Trunk and primary roads now have a colour of their own.
· Improved visibility of railways based on GeoCache style - thx GoemonGps/billi25.
· Add place=island as a workaround for land underwater - thx pos_ei_don_.
· http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti: new damages section in style-file to give certain ways / areas a red border; damage POIs for collapsed buildings and other earthquake damages
· Foot routing (if bundled into the midlet, see below).
· Multiple Route Modes can be bundled into a single midlet with a setting in the .properties file, e.g. useRouting = motorcar, bicycle, foot
· GpsMid asks which route mode to use on start of routing.
· If you select "Optimize for routing" in GUI Options, "Route" will be the default action in the Search screen.
· "Target" has been renamed to "Destination" throughout GpsMid.
· Show remaining route distance to distance in map screen.
· Optionally show remaining route duration / ETA in map screen (based on ways' typical/max speeds/number of traffic lights).
· Check for turn restrictions for motorcar during route calculation (can be turned off as it needs more memory and is slower).
· Speed up of long distance route calculations for motorcars by using only the main street net (motorway, trunk, primary, secondary, tertiary) in the middle of the route. (Specify distance from start and destination where main street net calculation starts in Routing Options.)
· Route calculation tries to find a motorway at the start of calculation (Option: Look for motorways).
· Examine motorways further during route calculation, so it is not left too early when the motorway makes a curve but is in the long term the better route (Option: Boost motorways).
· Examine trunks and primaries further to find the best way around cities instead of routing through (Option: Boost trunks & primaries).
· Route Line is now determined in a separate thread in the background, therefore instructions can be given already before the route line is known completely.
· Faster detection of the route line ways during rendering (speeds up map rendering, especially on long routes).
· U-turn instruction added.
· Cross area routing (e.g. for foot routing through pedestrian zones).
· Permissive Route Access Restrictions are now possible (e.g. bicycle routing for an abandoned aeroway=runway if bicycle=true is set).
· Much faster route calculation for bicycles (thx to apmonkey for the hint).
· Only one "in xxx meters" voice instruction is given for each arrow.
· http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti: routing repects impassable=yes and bridge=collapsed as non-routable
OSM editing and other features only available with Internet connection:
· Support for GeoHack in "Online Info" (thx jkpj).
Style-file and external media handling:
· High-style-file.xml has been renamed to style-file.xml and is used as default style-file that is completely integrated into Osm2GpsMid. The high-style.zip is discontinued. By using an Unzip utility you can extract the style-file.xml from Osm2GpsMid and put it into the file system and customize it as before.
· The former style-file.xml has been renamed to mini-style-file.xml and can be alternatively specified in the .properties file as "style-file = mini-style-file.xml".
· External media in style-file will be searched relative to the style-file location. Therefore when you specify "style-file = myStyle/style-file.xml" in your .properties file Osm2GpsMid will look for external media files to include in myStyle/png and myStyle/sound directories.
Midlet creation with Osm2GpsMid:
· Improved output, e.g. OSM links to errors to fix and duration for some creation steps.
· New option maxTileWays0, maxTileWays1, maxTileWays2 and maxTileWays3 in .properties files for specifying the maximum number of ways bundled into tiles of tile zoom level 0 to 3: With Osm2GpsMid 0.5.0, a maximum of 255 ways was included into each tile of a tile zoom level. This causes each Midlet to contain very many small files. By increasing the maximum ways you can reduce the number of files in the Midlet, maybe making it possible to have larger maps on the mobile. However, having more ways in the tiles might require a device with more performance or memory to run GpsMid. Therefore the default maximum ways per tile is still 255.
· New option maxDictDepth in .properties files for specifying the dictionary depth for tiles. With Osm2GpsMid 0.5.0 this was hardcoded to 5. Increasing the value to e.g. 10 will decrease the number of dictionary files in the midlet but require more memory in the mobile.
· New option useSounds to specify which sound formats to include into the midlet, e.g. "sounds = wav, amr" will include wav and amr sound files. GpsMid will use the first successful playable sound format.
· Output of Midlet creation is displayed in the GUI, so the user can now see it if Osm2GpsMid was not started from a console.
· GUI no longer disappears when Midlet creation is started.
· Bounding boxes can now be deleted by double-clicking inside of them.
· Map is zoomed to the relevant map area when loading a .properties file.
· Loading .properties files works again.
· Error message if style file specified in .properties file can't be found.
· Specifying a relative path or a path in the JAR for a style-file now works.
· New option to include CellIds.
· New option to specify Midlet route modes.
· New option which sound formats (none, amr, wav or both) to include into the Midlet.
· Correct error message during start if a POI icon is not found (bug was 2913528 "Broken Midlets generated").
· Don't cause an NPE if getControl doesn't return a VolumeControl as needed for phoneME (thx jkpj).
· Many more small improvements and bugfixes